Triangle Rising Stars Program
In 2011, DPAC established Triangle Rising Stars, a regional qualifying event as part of The National High School Musical Theatre Awards (NHSMTA).
What is Triangle Rising Stars?
- Triangle Rising Stars is the regional competition that brings together high school musical theater students from Central and Eastern North Carolina to perform and compete for the chance to represent DPAC in the national finals in New York City each summer.
- Throughout the school year, judges from DPAC, Theatre in the Park, Playmakers Repertory Theater, WTVD ABC 11 and other arts groups attend high school musical theater productions across the region.
- 20 regional finalists are selected to attend a weekend workshop retreat and compete with the best of their peers at the Triangle Rising Stars live showcase and awards show at DPAC.
- Awards in this regional competition include Best Actor and Best Actress, Best Ensemble, and Best Musical. The Triangle Rising Stars Best Actress and Best Actor receive $1,000 academic scholarships and are invited to an all-expense paid trip to the NHSMTA program in New York City.
What is the National High School Musical Theatre Awards?
- Student performers all across the U.S. compete in the national program by winning top honors at regional high school musical theatre awards competitions presented by Broadway League member performing arts centers just like DPAC.
- Over 1,000 high schools and 50,000 students participate in these annual events. Since its inception in 2009, the NHSMTA has enabled over $1,000,000 in university and conservatory scholarships to be awarded to talented students at the national and local level—several of whom have already been cast in Broadway, Touring, and West End productions.
- The National Awards program takes place at Nederlander's Minskoff Theatre, home theatre for Disney's The Lion King. In total, over 30 regional competitions send finalists to New York representing the best high school musical theater students nationwide that participate.
- NHSMTA nominees prepare for their Broadway debut during a ten-day professional training intensive with NYU Tisch School of the Arts' New Studio on Broadway faculty members and other top theatre professionals.
- Winners are selected by a panel of judges comprised of notable theatre professionals including Tony Award-winning producers and award-winning casting experts.
- Founded in 2009 by Nederlander Alliances LLC, Pittsburgh CLO, and Broadway Education Alliance (BEA), NHSMTA's mission is to raise the profile of musical theatre in schools, recognize dedicated teachers, and inspire the next generation of performers and enthusiasts. Also known as The Jimmy™ Awards, in honor of legendary Broadway producer/theatre owner James M. Nederlander, the NHSMTA is supported by many leading theatre industry organizations. More information about the National High School Musical Theatre Awards can be found at NHSMTA.COM.
A Special Thanks to Our Sponsors:
- September 30, 2016: Schools register to participate in Triangle Rising Stars during the 2016-2017 school year by this date.
- April 14, 2017 (or two weeks prior to school performance): Intent to Participate form and participating student’s most recent headshot must be submitted.
- April 28, 2017: Participating student’s resume formatted to template, sheet music for audition piece with no more than 2 minute audition segment clearly marked, digital highlight reel proving the adjudication was the result of a 2016-2017 lead role performance in a high school musical production, and Photo Release form are all due.
- May 13-15, 2017: Workshop, rehearsal, and closed audition for regional finalists
- May 16, 2017: Triangle Rising Stars live performance and awards show at DPAC
- June 2017: Regional winners will attend The National High School Musical Theatre Awards program in New York City (exact dates TBA.)
TRS IMPORTANT INFO
What does the TRS Award entail?
The two TRS student winners will be provided with $1,000 academic scholarships and will be invited to represent the Triangle Rising Star Awards in an all-expense paid trip to the National High School Musical Theater Awards program in New York City at the end of June. After a week of coaching, auditions, rehearsals and a final performance “on Broadway,” a handful of students from the elite group will be awarded scholarships and other prizes.
Are there any costs involved?
No, through the generosity of our sponsors, the TRS Awards are run at no cost to those who participate. The Award recipients are provided scholarships that cover all of their expenses (travel, room & board, and entertainment) to attend the National High School Musical Theater Awards in New York City.
Please direct all questions to [email protected]