Wed, May 8
Finalists Announced for Ninth Annual Triangle Rising Stars Showcase and Awards on May 16th
DPAC, Marchael Bayne, Theatre in the Park, the Durham Arts Council, and ABC 11 are pleased to announce the finalists for the ninth annual Triangle Rising Stars Showcase and Awards. Part of the National High School Musical Theatre Awards® (NHSMTA), this special event will light up DPAC’s stage May 16, 2019 at 7:30 PM.
This year’s participation included 38 high school shows and 135 students, who competed for their chance to shine on DPAC’s main stage.
Tickets are $10 for the Triangle Rising Stars Showcase and Awards and are on sale now:
- Online at DPACnc.com
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina - Ticket Center at DPAC: 919.680.2787, 123 Vivian Street, Durham NC
*All ticket sales support the Triangle Rising Stars program.
“I think it is important that we continue to act as an advocate for arts education in the Triangle and recognize excellence in high school musical theater,” says Megan Rindoks, Community Engagement Manager at DPAC. “These students are so incredibly talented and I love that this program creates a platform for them to showcase their passions and skill sets. I am beyond excited for everyone to see what we have in store for Triangle Rising Stars this year.”
The Triangle Rising Stars Showcase and Awards recognize the outstanding achievements of high school students and their musical theater productions. The Top 20 Finalists will perform songs from their nominated shows on the DPAC stage for a chance to earn the title of Triangle Rising Stars Best Actor and Best Actress.
As the Central and Eastern North Carolina qualifying event for the National High School Musical Theatre Awards®, the Triangle Rising Stars Best Actor and Best Actress recipients will each receive a $2,000 scholarship and be invited to attend the NHSMTA® in New York City this summer. This all-expense paid trip allows students from across the country to train with Broadway actors, directors and producers. Their week of coaching, auditions and rehearsals concludes with a sold-out performance on Broadway at the Minskoff Theatre (Home of Disney’s The Lion King©) where the coveted Jimmy™ Awards® for Best Performance by an Actor and Best Performance by an Actress are announced.
TRIANGLE RISING STARS BEST ACTRESS FINALISTS:
- Allie Jessee (Jo March, Little Women, Cary High School)
- Anna Vtipil (Natalie/Ed, All Shook Up, Athens Drive Magnet High School)
- Caroline Segars (Kelli Mangrum, Hands on a Hardbody, Eastern Alamance High School)
- Delia Vaisey (Audrey, Little Shop of Horrors, Chapel Hill High School)
- Emma Johnson (Marion Paroo, The Music Man, Apex Friendship High School)
- Haven Bowers (Katherine Pumber, Newsies, Heritage High School)
- Lanie Martin (Roxy, Chicago, Leesville Road High School)
- Lily Vance (Tracy Turnblad, Hairspray, CE Jordan High School)
- Liyana Falvey (Erma, Anything Goes, William G. Enloe High School)
- Soraiah Williams (Miss Hannigan, Annie, Panther Creek High School)
TRIANGLE RISING STARS BEST ACTOR FINALISTS:
- Adam Greene (Seymour, Little Shop of Horrors, Southeast Raleigh Magnet High School)
- Ben Eble (Seymour, Little Shop of Horrors, Chapel Hill High School)
- Elliot Stanford (Harold Hill, The Music Man, Apex Friendship High School)
- Jaydon Smith (Nicely Nicely Johnson, Guys and Dolls, Clayton High School)
- Ricky Hall (Billy, Anything Goes, William G. Enloe High School)
- Riley Gibson (Edna Turnblad, Hairspray, CE Jordan High School)
- Sammy Rivas (Lumiere, Beauty and the Beast, Ravenscroft School)
- Tyler Ellis (Sky Masterson, Guys and Dolls, Clayton High School)
- Vishal Kasula (Chad, All Shook Up, Athens Drive Magnet High School)
- William Wakeford (Dennis, All Shook Up, Athens Drive Magnet High School)
The Triangle Rising Stars Awards event on May 16 will be hosted by a surprise special guest. The 20 finalists will be featured in two group performances, as well as a medley of individual performances where each student will showcase his/her own solos. Along with the Best Actor and Best Actress awards, accolades will also be given for Best Musical and Best Ensemble. From the participating schools, finalists have already been chosen for these honors:
This year, the Top 20 Finalists will be adjudicated live at the Triangle Rising Stars Showcase and Awards by an esteemed panel of guest judges with Broadway experience, including Dirk Lumbard, Katie Lynch, and Ray Walker. These Broadway veterans have a vast combined repertoire of work that includes Les Miserables, Jesus Christ Superstar, The Music Man, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Today, Lumbard, Lynch, and Walker are all dedicated to supporting arts education and inspiring the next generation of theater professionals.
- Athens Drive Magnet High School – All Shook Up
- Cary High School – Little Women
- Clayton High School – Guys and Dolls
- Enloe High School – Anything Goes
- Leesville Road High School - Chicago
- Apex Friendship High School – The Music Man
- Athens Drive Magnet High School – All Shook Up
- CE Jordan High School – Hairspray
- Holly Springs High School – The Addams Family
- William G. Enloe High School – Anything Goes
- Heritage High School – Newsies
For more information about the Triangle Rising Stars Showcase and Awards, visit: http://www.dpacnc.com/trs
For more information about the National High School Musical Theatre Awards®/Jimmy™ Awards, visit: http://nhsmta.com