Since 2008, DPAC's community outreach program, "Heart of the Arts," has been making connections between the shows and audiences at DPAC and local non-profit arts and education groups.
Community & Outreach
We call DPAC’s community outreach Heart of the Arts and since 2008, this program has been making connections between the shows and audiences at DPAC and local non-profit arts and education groups such as the Carolina Theatre of Durham, Durham Arts Council, Durham Public Schools, Durham County Library and the Hayti Heritage Center.
DPAC’s commitment to being a bridge between touring professional theater and Durham students includes the following opportunities:
- Master classes presented by actors and technical members of the touring Broadway shows have been very popular; the expertise that is conveyed by theater professionals is often some of the most relevant and direct information that prospective young theater students can receive. Please note that this program focuses on dedicated theater programs at Durham-area High Schools.
- On specially selected Mondays of each month when there is not a show in the building, DPAC also offers backstage tours to see where the theatrical ‘magic’ happens and a learn about what happens behind the scenes at the big shows we host.
- For groups outings, DPAC also offers group ticket discounts and post-show discussions after performances that feature actors and tech crew fresh from the stage to answer student questions and talk about their experiences onstage and off.
- Special visits on the afternoon prior to a performance where students can see the preparation involved in readying a show for its debut on stage at DPAC.
- Orchestra rehearsals for music students to watch and listen to the Broadway musicians as they ready the score for performance.
Additionally, DPAC recently launched a new program called Spotlight on Teachers.
Throughout the season DPAC and BASF are partnering to honor a local teacher through our Spotlight on Teachers program. Together, we want to thank them for all they do for our youth and reward them with a night out at DPAC!
Triangle Rising Stars is the regional competition that brings together high school musical theater students in the Triangle and surrounding areas to perform and compete for the chance to represent DPAC in the national finals in New York City each summer.
DPAC invites you to become a member of the DPAC Stars, part of Discover Durham Wayfinder volunteer program.
Through this program, high school students will be exposed to the diversity of what is offered at DPAC and get a behind the scenes look at the industry.